About the job:
As an Event Planner, your job starts by sitting down with your clients and figuring out exactly what they need for an event. You will ask questions about the purpose of the event, the number of guests, and the general theme of the party. Your job is to then plan the event and coordinate the day's activities.
As an Event Planner, you may have to face:
- Long and antisocial work hours
- Difficult people
- A crowded job market
- Periods of unemployment
As an Event Planner, you may get to:
- Experience new things
- Enjoy a variety of projects, such as planning a conference, sporting event and gala dinner
- Meet interesting people
- 40+ hours a week
- May sometimes range from 5 am to Midnight
- Working on the weekend is common
Are you the right fit?
- Planning & Organization
- Leadership Skills
- Reasoning & Problem Solving
Will you make money?
- In order to become an Event Planner, it is recommended that you obtain a Bachelor's degree in Communications, Hospitality Management, Public Relations or Marketing.
- Some universities may also offer a Minor in Events Management, this will give you a better overview on the industry itself and often provides you with practical activities, such as internships and real-life projects.
- It is recommended that you socialize as much as possible to increase your chances of meeting potential client.s
- If you want to start your own Event Planning business, it is advisable that you set up a company (S.A.R.L) so in case anything goes wrong at a wedding, for example, the liability would be limited.
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected].
Thinking about becoming an Event Planner? Check out what Matisse Event's Founder Lynn Sawaya, has to say about this career, her experience & more.
Lynn Sawaya is the founder and managing partner of Matisse Events, she has worked her way up in the event industry from early beginnings over 10 years ago. Lynn has supervised and overseen more than 600 events since then. Her knowledge and experience enabled her to establish Matisse Events and manage the company with a vision to carry on expanding it and taking on an increasingly diversified number of events. Lynn is driven by a passion for events, and her unique talent is expressed by her energy and ability to create, operate and manage successful events.