About the job:
As a Petroleum Engineer, you help find oil and gas for a country’s energy needs. You design and develop methods for extracting oil and gas from deposits below the earth’s surface. You also find new ways to extract oil and gas from older wells. It's important to note that in Lebanon, Natural Gas is the most dominant type of hydrocarbon fuel.
There are four main types of Petroleum Engineers: Completion Engineers, Drilling Engineers, Production Engineers and Reservoir Engineers.
As a Petroleum Engineer, you will have to:
- Find yourself in remote and strange locations when you're on the drill site
- Deal with a lot of geological uncertainties when taking decisions
- Note: A lot of people make money when the oil prices are high but on the other hand, a lot of people lose
their job when the oil prices are low. Oil prices vary extensively on a daily basis.
As a Petroleum Engineer, some of the perks of this career include:
- There is no routine in the oil business
- You will be exposed to different challenge in every new project
- High pay
- 40 hours a week
- 30% overtime when travelling to and from drilling sites
- On site Often work within rotations
Are you the right fit?
- General Sciences
- Expressing yourself verbally
- Mathematical Reasoning
- Reasoning & Problem Solving
Will you make money?
- A Bachelor's Degree in Petroleum Engineering
- A Bachelor's degree in Mechanical, Civil, or Chemical Engineering may also meet employer requirements
- ABET accredits programs in Petroleum Engineering - so ask about that before choosing your university program
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected].
Curious about a career in Petroleum Engineering? Check out what Ahmad Harb has to say about this career in our latest Nooreed Interview.
Ahmad is a Reservoir Engineering Consultant and a PhD student at the American University of Beirut. He was also formerly an instructor at AUB, LU and UZEK.
Ahmad initially obtained his Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering at the American University of Beirut. He then proceeded to obtain a Master's Degree in Petroleum Engineering at Heriot Watt University in Edinburgh - Scotland.