About the job:
As an Information Security Professional, your job is to protect online data from being compromised. You may work in a bank, retail setting or government organization. On the job, you are expected to protect an organization’s files and network, install firewalls, create security plans and monitor activity. If a breach occurs, you’ll be responsible for identifying the problem and finding a solution quickly.
As an Information Security Professional, you will have to:
- Monitor and email alerts all day
- Work hard to establish and gain a reputation that will make potential employers trust you with this role
- Be available 24/7 by phone when you reach the Management level
As an Information Security Officer, you will get to:
- Enjoy decent job security, because it's not easy for an organization to replace you
- Benefit from the fact that since businesses are becoming more digital, the need for information security is rising
- Work from multiple locations
- Learn, learn and learn
Note: This career is suited for those who have a “Hacker Mindset”, which means a natural curiosity of things, a thirst of knowledge and details.
- 40+ hours per week
Depends on where you work. It mostly becomes long hours when you get hacked and need to clean everything up.
Are you the right fit?
- General Sciences
Will you make money?
Information Security Professionals typically have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in a field like Computer Science, Computer Programming, or Computer Engineering
- An MBA in Information Systems may be preferred by some employers
- Regular attendance of courses to stay updated with the changes in technology and threats
Note: Positions in Information Security are advanced ones, not entry-level jobs. It helps to have previous experience working in a computer-related position, such as a Computer Technician, a Network Administrator, or a Systems Administrator.
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected].
What does an Ethical Hacker do for a living? How can you become one?
We sat down with Khalil Sehnaoui to discuss his career as an Information Security professional.
Watch our latest Nooreed interview to learn about the InfoSec field in Lebanon & abroad.
Khalil Sehnaoui is a Belgian-Lebanese information security consultant who specialises in the Middle-East and the founder and managing partner of Beirut-based Krypton Security. He is also a member of the Chaos Computer Club (CCC), Europe's largest association of hackers. He attended College Stanislas in Paris as well as Collège Louise Wegman in Beirut, following which he earned a BA in Management from Universite Saint Joseph in Beirut as well as a Masters in Economics.