About the job:
As an Environmental Consultant, you use your knowledge of natural sciences to help others protect the environment. You're hired to study environmental risks and communicate them to business owners, government officials, and others.
Environmental consultant are very passionate about Sustainability.
Who enlists the help of an Environmental Consultant?
Well, in Maya Karkour's case, Architects and Engineers. Maya is the lady who is interviewed in the above video. She is mostly concerned with:
- How to reduce the impact on the land that a building is developed on
- How to make a building more resource efficient, in terms of water, electricity, etc.
- How to preserve water (collect it from rain and recycle)
- How to use material that is not toxic
- How to improve the energy consumption of a building
- Providing a sustainability report
- Identifying a strategy to follow in order to get a building certified
As an Environmental Consultant, you will have to:
- Be very good at presenting sustainable options to your clients
- Stand out to get good job offers from engineers and architects
- Get the proper credentials
- Be serious about what you do
As an Environmental Consultant, you will get to:
- Contribute to a more sustainable planet
- Practice what you preach
- Have a balanced lifestyle
- Engage with a variety of people
- 40 hours per week
As an Environmental Consultant, you may get to work both Indoors and Outdoors. Your hours are also flexible, as long as you set a minimum number of hours in the office.
Are you the right fit?
- Life Sciences
- Expressing yourself verbally
- Reasoning & Problem Solving
Will you make money?
- A Bachelor's degree in Environmental Sciences. You can specialize in:
- A background in Electro-Mechanical Engineering is also an option
- A Master's degree in Architecture, Sustainable Architecture, or Mechanical Engineering
- You may also obtain a Master's Degree in Environmental Studies, in case you studied something else at the Undergraduate level
- You will need to train and pass an exam to become qualified
- You may also become an expert in Water and Hydrology, Water Testing, Waste Water Treatment - Look into these specializations!
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected].
An Environmental Consultant focuses on the triple bottom line: profit, people, and planet. If you're looking for a way to mix business and leadership with a strong conviction to help the planet, this could be the career for you!
Maya Karkour is the Managing Director of EcoConsulting which she co-founded in 2003 in the UK. Maya moved back to Beirut in 2008 to create EcoConsulting’s Middle East branch. Maya is currently a Board Member of the Lebanon Mountain Trail Association, and is heading its Education Committee. She is also actively involved in different NGOs focusing on environmental awareness and activities, has been a keynote speaker at various sustainability conferences, and conducts eco-building seminars on a regular basis. Maya holds an MSc in Environment from the London School of Economics and Political Science and is a LEED Accredited Professional, a BREEAM Licensed Assessor, and Low Carbon Energy Assessor.