About the job:
As a Social Worker, you help other people adjust to the changes and challenges in their lives. You listen to them and offer practical guidelines and advice. You also help them through different welfare programs.
You may also become a Social Worker in a Mental Health setting (related to Psychology), scroll to the Education section below for more information about the requirements to enter this specific field.
As a Social Worker, you will have to:
- Be emotionally strong when dealing with difficult cases
- Fill in paperwork and be comfortable with other administrative tasks
As a Social Worker, you may get to:
- Work in different settings, such as schools or hospitals
- Make a positive different in people's lives
- 35-40 hours per week
- 10-20% nights & weekends
The working times for a social worker depend on the project. You may work normal hours in an office, or you may have to visit remote areas to work with people who need support. In that case, the work hours are long too.
Are you the right fit?
Will you make money?
If you want to pursue a career as a Social Worker, you will need:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Psychology, Sociology or a related field
If you want to work as a Clinical Social Worker, you may need:
- A Master’s degree in Social Work
If you want to pursue a career as a Social Worker in a Mental Health setting, the Ministry of Health requires you to have the following:
- Bachelor or Masters in Social work
- 1-3 years
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team
- Excellent communication, problem solving, interpersonal and
conflict resolution skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Ability to adhere to ethical considerations and principles with
regard to work with vulnerable populations
- Computer skills
- Basic Microsoft office and internet use
Fluency in spoken Arabic, fluency in English is a plus
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected]
Social workers do their best to help those who have been the most disadvantaged in life. Maha is our guest in this video as she shares her story and life as a social worker, and how she helps by giving those who have very little the chance at much more. Maha and other social workers are awesome people with a heart of gold and great work ethic. Catch this video to see how you can pursue a career that will make a huge difference to those in need.
Maha Sabsaby was born in Beirut Lebanon. After finishing her university studies in general medicine in Bulgaria, she worked in health centers for several years and later established her own business. Unfortunately, the war destroyed everything and she had to start from scratch. By chance, through a friend, she found a job in an international charitable organization. She found herself again and she is still working with NGOs (non-governmental organizations) since.