About the job:
As a Marine Captain, you are in command of the vessel. You have complete authority on ship and imports and also supervise passengers and crew members. You are responsible for safe navigation and must ensure that the operation is seamless.
As a Marine Captain, you will have to:
- Manage high-pressure situations, such as when there is bad weather
- Constantly be travelling, which will affect your lifestyle
As a Marine Captain, you will get to:
- Travel to interesting places
- Earn a good income if you command yacht and other luxurious vessels
- Full-time when travelling
- Time off during winter
Are you the right fit?
- Languages (English or French or Arabic)
- Any Track
Will you make money?
- In order to become a Marine Captain, you will need a High School Diploma or Equivalent
- You may need up to 3 years of education and training, depending on the size of the vessel you want to command
- A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with this occupation; in the winter you may focus on getting theoretical knowledge whereas in the summer, you would get to practice your skills.
There is a small fee of $75 for participating in this activity, which also includes a meal, a take home certificate, and more.
For questions, please email [email protected]
Aye, aye Captain! Learn what it's like to work as a Marine Captain from the perspective of the International Maritime Academy's very own, Captain Joe Attara.
Joe started his career in the yachting field in 1986 while he was still finishing his high school classes. He worked as a captain’s assistant on different sizes and brands of yachts for several years. Then he took a high seas course and received his 50 meter yacht license.
Joe loves his job because of its connection with the nature and the sea. He also loves traveling and discovering new cultures related to each country.