Should you match your Career with your Personality Type?
American Psychologist John Holland seems to suggest so. Dr. Holland studied people and work styles. He created a system that matched personalities with work. He called it, the Vocational Choice Theory.
Here's what you should know:
- Most people fall into one of six personality types:
- Realistic (R): Individuals are assertive and competitive, and are interested in activities requiring motor coordination, skill and strength.
- Investigative (I): Individuals like to think and observe rather than act, to organize and understand information rather than to persuade. They prefer doing things alone.
- Artistic (A): Individuals are usually creative, open, inventive, original, perceptive, sensitive, independent and emotional. They do not like structure and rules.
- Social (S): Individuals seem to satisfy their needs in teaching or helping situations. They like to work with people.
- Enterprising (E): Individuals are good talkers, and use this skill to lead or persuade others. They also value reputation, power, money and status, and will usually go after it.
- Conventional (C): Individuals like rules and regulations and emphasize self-control. They like structure and order, and dislike unstructured or unclear work and interpersonal situations.
In short, The Holland Codes: (RAISEC)
- When people of the same Personality Type work together, they end up creating an environment that fits their type. For example, when Artistic people are together on a job, they create a work environment that rewards creative thinking and behavior -- an Artistic environment.
- People search for environments where they can use their skills and abilities and express their values and attitudes.
- People who choose to work in an environment similar to their personality type are more likely to be successful and satisfied.
- If you are working with people who have a personality type like yours, you will be able to do many of the things they can do, and you will feel most comfortable with them.
In summary, you are most likely to choose a satisfying career if you choose one that matches your personality type.
Nooreed will introduce an online career assessment very soon. Sign up for free today in order to be notified!Previous Article Next Article